Steak, Tomato, Carmelized Onion, Basil, & Cheddar Frittata
1 Tbl butter/margerine
3 Tbl half and half
1/2 Cup diced left over steak
1/8 Cup sliced onion
4 thin slices of tomato
handful of cheddar cheese
3 big fresh basil leaves from garden
General recipe to make your own Mad Creation:
1. Adjust broiler rack – you want the top of the skillet to be 4-6 inches from the broiler. Turn on broiler (I set mine to Low)
2. Put skillet (I used a small skillet) on stove and add about a tablespoon of butter/oil. Add any raw vegetables or meat you want in your frittata and saute them until done, adding any herbs, spices, and salt you desire.
3. Add any cooked ingredients and heat them through.
4. Whisk eggs with salt, pepper, and 3 Tablespoons of water, milk, half and half, or cream. (Half and half produces the best results.) If using cheese, add about half to the eggs (or you can save all of it for the top). Add egg mixture to skillet.
5. On medium heat, cook eggs for about 2 minutes, scraping the sides and bottom with heat-resistant spatula. When eggs are mostly cooked but still very wet, stop stirring. You want to see cooked egg scattered throughout, but loose egg in between.
6. Continue cooking on stove for another minute so underside sets.
7. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
8. TIP: If your skillet handle is not made for the oven, cover it with foil. Put skillet under broiler. Keep door slightly ajar. Watch carefully while top browns. This will take 3-6 minutes.
9. Remove skillet from oven and let sit for about 5 minutes to finish cooking in center.
P.S. – had left overs for breakfast at work the next day… the basil Punched Through & was even more fabulous!